Phoenix

DesertExile: How it "Looks"

14 June 2006

How it "Looks"


This man is being confronted and subdued. From my point, he has said or done something that qualifies countering with deadly force.

From one who has never "been there", it would appear that: 1. The subject has his hands up and empty. and 2. Weapons are not necessary now.

This also would trigger a response that the two officers might be psychologically imbalanced.

Departments have three big hammers over them:
1. Politics. Police Departments are usually controlled by elected officials, who give orders and increase or cut budgets. Politicians, for the last 20 years, have pandered to " Minorities", and those who have access to the media. Arrest or shoot a "minority" and your life will be Hell on Earth.
2. Public Opinion. The reason this is important is Item #1.
3. LIABILITY. Liability-or in my view, the ability of a parasitic attorney to tap into taxpayer funds, destined for the benefit of a total community and channeled those funds, at least 33% of the judge or jury award, into his/her bank account.
Lawsuits are mostly based on NEGLIGENCE. Negligence says you neglected or failed to do something you should have done. KNOWLEDGE is a big element here. If the Department KNEW of a potential harmful situation, and took no corrective action, they are very liable.

So, many departments have an either in-house psychologist or one on retainer. [Of course, Parasite Attorney will name his/her own EXPERT WITNESS(psychologist), also known to cops as Liars-for-Hire.]

As an officer, shoud you be unfortunate enough to encounter a situation as shown above, you will later be ordered to a Psychological Review.

From Calibrepress.com

Laurence Miller, PhD Police Psychologist
Question:
My department has referred me for a Fsychological Fitness-For-Duty (PFFD) exam. What is that? What's the best way for me to approach this situation...and should I be concerned?
Answer:
Although you should be cautious and concerned (putting it mildly), there's no need for anger or panic. If carried out correctly, the psychological FFD need not be unnecessarily adversarial or demoralizing.
On the other hand, this kind of evaluation should not be taken lightly because the results of an FFD may be brought before a court or a governmental commission and your entire career may hinge on the FFD's conclusions.
To make some sense of this process, here are some things that you, your referring supervisor, and the examining psychologist should all know.

That is if the psychologist is not a Liberal, and does not believe in "use of force".

Don't assume the worst.
I'm not your enemy; for that matter, I'm not your friend either. Even if the FFD order comes in the context of a bitterly contentious departmental action, it's not my job to pass judgment. My role is to objectively evaluate your mental status and relate it to the specific referral questions as to your fitness for duty.

Be prepared to see what you said, and the examiner's opinion somewhere in the future at a trial, either of a civil or criminal case. Defense Attorneys and Plaintiff's attorneys love to emphasize how unstable you are/were.

From experience, if ordered to one of these sessions, I would:
1. Delay. Make them wait.
2. Read up on what the psych "professionals" consider "aberrant behavior".
3. Follow this from Dr. Laurence Miller:

Come prepared.
Show up on time. If you were supposed to bring any records or materials, have them with you. Make sure you have your reading glasses. If the exam is scheduled for early afternoon, make sure you had lunch. Accordingly, I'll make sure you are seen at the appointed time and that all my materials are ready when you arrive.
Read everything you sign.
At the outset, there'll be a bunch of forms to sign. Read them. If you have any questions about what you're signing, let me know.
Expect to be treated courteously and behave accordingly.
Even though I'm not your enemy or your friend, you should expect me to act professionally. I should not demean or humiliate you and, even though I may have to ask you some tough questions, you shouldn't have to feel like a criminal suspect. Remember, the more comfortable you feel during the examination, the better your memory will be and the more accurate will be the information I obtain. So I have nothing to gain by trying to make you squirm. By the same token, I ask that you try not to bust my chops more than necessary. I understand that you don't want to be here and I also understand that you've had a whole life and career outside the narrow confines of this FFD case. You're a professional and so am I; we both have a job to do so let's do it.

This last is important. Think about it! On many of the offenders you contact, attitude is usually the decider of what type of action you take.

GOOD LUCK!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

">